MEDIA RELEASE: Fire Safety Continues as Daylight Savings Time Ends

During Carbon Monoxide Prevention Week (November 1 – 7), remember that Daylight Savings Time ends on Sunday, November 3, at 2 a.m.

“As residents turn back their clocks back by one hour, we urge everyone to test their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, and if necessary, replace the batteries or the entire unit,” says Fire Chief Darryl Bailey. “All alarms regardless if they are powered by electricity or battery should be replaced after 10-years.”

Carbon Monoxide

CO is an invisible, tasteless and an odourless gas that can be deadly.  It’s produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely. Appliances that use these fuels include furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators and vehicles.

It is recommended that homeowners get all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually to prevent CO leaks.  Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea and dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death.

Smoke Alarms

It’s the law to have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas, and CO alarms adjacent to each sleeping area, if the home has a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage. Tampering with or removing the batteries from your smoke or carbon monoxide alarms are against the law and can result in a ticket for $360 or a fine of up to $50,000.

Families are also encouraged to create and practice a home escape plan.  There may be less than two minutes to safely escape the toxic gases released from a fire burning in your home.  Make sure everyone knows two ways out of each room and discuss a meeting place. 

Learn more about fire prevention and safety, and get valuable resources to help keep your family safe:

- 30 -

Media Contact:

Strategic Initiatives | Communications | 905.584.2272 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


“This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The content of the message is the property of the Corporation of the Town of Caledon. The message may contain information that is privileged, confidential, subject to copyright and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or modification of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, advising of the error and delete this message without making a copy. (Information related to this email is automatically monitored and recorded and the content may be required to be disclosed by the Town to a third party in certain circumstances). Thank you.”